Gulf Breeze Anniversary Run For The Future 5K Run/Walk
So to give you an update on my oh so important running news, I thought I would do a little race recap.
Mom, Chris, and I did the Gulf Breeze 5k in October. We will cut them a little slack since it was the first "annual" and still working out the kinks! Plus, it wouldn't be us if it weren't a special experience!! To pick up your packet you go behind the big gymnasium that it said go to in the parking lot. Here is where all 75 participants gathered. No, you don't need your glasses...I meant what I said...75 participants. With there having been so few runners I would like to say we were all buddy buddy by the end of the race, but considering I only saw the hind end of most of these people for a few seconds before they flew by....they weren't much for conversing.
The best part is when you walk up to pick up your packet and they ask "are you runners or walkers?"...ouch! We figured right then and there that wasn't a good sign. You know when you watch boxing on tv and the boxers are jumping around getting their game faces on sweating profusely already while throwing practice jabs? Well, that is what the beginning of this little 5k looked like. You would have thought these people were getting ready to fight Mike Tyson. Quite commical...however I can imagine they were doing the same thing when I came in 20 minutes after their finish time!!
We all gather where they are going to start, and I really start getting intimidated now. So we head off threw the lovely neighborhoods of gulf breeze...and it hits me!! I fear this is me. So I can't run for my pants falling down. But not just my pants friends. No, no, the underwear have to be falling to for it to be really uncomfortable and annoying. I couldn't run because every step I would take they would fall further and further. Since I was in the slow crowd (somewhere around 75th out of 75 runners), I found something that was a momentary saving grace.
I was able to hide behind it for a second to return my clothing to it's designated place. Once that was done and I knew I couldn't run, I power walked. I have never walked so fast in all of my life. I am sure I looked like I was on a mission for the free beer at the end of the race!!
The most embarassing part was the finish. When you approach there was a group of high school cheerleaders standing there pom poms in hand ready to cheer you across the finish line. To bad I wanted to sock them across the face! So to show the extent of my struggles through the race, I made my mom go to the bathroom with me so she could see the extent of my troubles. When we got to the bathroom there were my struggles....around my knees!!
So what went wrong you ask??? Well, I decided not to wear my normal running pants because I thought they were dirty. So, I just wore some comfy black pants instead. They are a little too big already. So not good for running. Not to mention the underwear I was wearing was too big as well. Add it all together and we have a very dysfunctional 5k walk!!!!!
Lesson learned, and onward and upward towards the next one. Where, I might add I will be there with bells and running pants on!!!


Our stomachs hurt from laughing at this post. I mean tears rolling down our faces. You never mentioned the tree. OMG
ReplyDeleteOh yes, since you do not have a camera - how did you get the picture of this tree? hahaha
ReplyDeleteWell, I had my running buddy use her camera, then we switched info to get up with each other later. (We do coffee often) So she took it for me....oh wait.....Nobody was anywhere CLOSE to me during the run!!! You got me...google is my friend!
ReplyDelete